Monday, August 27, 2018

25 Years Later, on the Walls of The New York Times

Success is a very relative thing. When the New York Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) announced earlier this year that they were putting eight of my designs for The New York Times Op-Ed pages in their collection, I was excited.

However, when The New York Times recently decided to frame and put four of my Op-Ed pages in their waiting room, I was thrilled. Especially because at the time when I was the art director for the Op-Ed pages between 1992–1993, not only were there few Mac computers available in the art department, but also there was a big resistance in general to such a radical approach.









When the NYTimes told me that they were going to frame the Op-Ed pages, I didn't know exactly where they were going to put them. Especially, I didn't know that they were going to put them opposite the wall on which they posted some of the best illustrations created for the Op-Ed pages. And I definitely didn't know that two of my illustrations, created in 1991 and '92 (before I became art director) are a part of that wall.




No comments:

Post a Comment