Saturday, August 1, 2020

Lovesick Skateboards

I created this illustration for Steven Heller, who was the art director of the book review in the New York Times in 1993.

Soon after, I was contacted by someone from Rage Against The Machine to see if I would allow them to use this image for their banners on stage and T-shirts. They had already been familiarized with my work, because the bass player, Tim Commerford, already had a tattoo of my work on his arm. This started our collaboration together for some years to come.



The T-shirt became quite popular and at the time I saw young people wearing them. One of these young people was Aleks Lewandowski from Lovesick Skateboards. Aleks recently contacted me to see if he could use that very same image from almost 30 years ago on one of his skateboards. And of course, because he wanted to reflect that period of that time again, so he also created a T-shirt.

A few days ago I received a package with a few skate decks and T-shirts with my art on them. What is even more important to me, there was a very sweet hand-written note from Aleks that I am posting below without his permission.

Getting this note today was worth the creation of the work itself nearly 30 years ago.




No comments:

Post a Comment