Friday, April 10, 2020

Survival

I was introduced to Les Lilley by Ervin Rustemagic in 1978 at the Lucca festival in Italy. We socialized there for a couple days together with Joe Kubert, Dino Battaglia, José Antonio Muñoz, Bobby London, Sergio Toppi, and Hugo Pratt.

Three months later through Irwin, I received a one page scenario for comics title Survival. I liked the scenario  a couple months later I drew a six page comic and I sent it to Les. He was quite surprised because he originally intended that the page which he sent to me was just a draft for a comic. Because of my poor english, I had misunderstood. Luckily he loved the comic as I had drawn it.

In 1980, that comic was published in Heavy Metal magazine among other places. That same year Heavy Metal, bought rights to turn the comic into an animation for their Heavy Metal animated movie. Unfortunately turned out that the drawing was too complicated for the technology of animation at that time.







No comments:

Post a Comment