Thursday, October 17, 2019

"Adam and Eve" by Zlatko Bourek

Zlatko Bourek (1929 – 2018) is one of the most prolific artists I have ever known. He was a painter, sculptor, animator, children's book illustrator and theater set designer. He was a director of puppet theater, for which he created his own puppets.

Two and half years ago, I ran into him on the streets of Zagreb. He asked me if, by any chance I am going to be back in May that year. I told him unfortunately not and that why he was asking. He told me that he is going to have a solo show and in one of the paintings Adam and Eve, he has painted me.

I asked him, "Am I naked?" He told me, "Don't worry, you are in a suit and tie." I told him that I was a little disappointed as I prefer naked over suit and tie.

A year later, when I visited him, he was sick and in bed in his home and told me that unfortunately, the painting of me is on display in some show. But when it comes back, I can take it.

Then in May 2018, he passed away. Soon after that, I was contacted by his family to let me know, that the painting, on the back on which, he wrote my name, is waiting for me.

The painting is now here with me in New York.
Thank you, Zlatko.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment